Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Socks, Shocks, and Stuff

My socks don't look like socks, y'all. They look like large slippers. When I get a chance, I'll post up a pic for you to review and snicker at. Yes, I said snicker, so what?

Still, I think it may be the fact that I am trying a two needle sock pattern that requires seaming, which for me has always been bulky. I really need to try a REAL pattern on 4 DPNs. Which I am not fond of using. So, after I finish my second slipper, I'll be on to the reals.

Had Dino's neurology appointment yesterday. The doctor was privileged to see Dino in all his unfettered, hyperactive glory. He really was exactly as he usually is and the doctor confirmed the diagnosis of ADHD, but then added that Dino is high moderate to severe ADHD, which I think shocked me a little. Since I deal with him on a daily basis, it never occurred to me that he would be severe in the hyperactivity or that others would find him so distracting. In any case, we are moving ahead with meds. Which I picked up last night at the pharmacy. Which DH failed to get Dino to take this morning. Happy I am not. DH claims that Dino "didn't want to take it after trying 3 times". I think DH wimped out like he always does and didn't want to fight Dino on making him take it. Which means I have to be the one to do it. I won't bore you with the "I am sick of this" rhetoric. As soon as I come up with the $1300 retainer fee, I'll be solving that problem.

After the appointment yesterday, Dino and I went to Dick's Sporting Goods and priced elliptical trainers. They were HUGE. And tres expensive. I know that I couldn't get one in my basement. Well, not exactly true. It would fit in the basement, but with the low ceilings, no one over 5 foot 2 inches would be able to use the thing. Since I am 5 foot 7 inches, I would be bashing my head on the ceiling.

I was sad, since this is the ONE thing that I really wanted to get (oh, the glider thingy is a few inches HIGHER than the one elliptical, so that won't work either. Sigh.) so I consoled myself with some light hearted shopping at Tar-Jay. I found a wonderful little stepping machine that was just the right height (and a good price). I took it home and stepped for about 10 minutes before my thighs felt like jello. I also purchased the Boot Camp Elite system from Billy Blanks. It really is a tough workout. I need to work up to it, but I did complete one 43 minute session. I didn't do ALL the moves, but enough that I was sweating up a storm and feeling the burn. Slow and steady is the name of the game here. I was happy with the workout and the moves, but the pace speeds up from time to time and at this point I can't keep up. So, I am modifying for now. This program along with the stepper and the exercise bike should keep me going for a bit. I need stuff that is mobile right now. I am still stuck at the same weight, and need to get things going again. I have another session with the stepper tonight, along with some boot camp stuff. Then I am hoping to get a calendar going where I do cardio then toning/weights on the opposite days. That worked for me before.

Speaking of Tar-Jay, it's amazing how much calmer it is during the week compared to the weekend. On weekends, people are rude, obnoxious, frenzied, and mean. During the week, they are just obnoxious. At least, just yesterday they were. And there are not as many people in the store, either. Dino and I found shoes, a toy, clothes, and exercise stuff all without being jostled or pushed. It was lovely.

Ok, back to work I go. I hope to have the two needles socks done today so I can show you just how silly they are. Happy knitting!

No comments: