Thursday, January 10, 2008

What Homework?

True Story:

Dino and I rushed home last night from karate so that I could get in my new TaeBo and stepper workout. I remembered that he had homework and put it on the kitchen table as I ran through on my way to the second floor to change. When I finished changing, I called down to Dino, who was busy playing with his loud and obnoxious toys that his lovely uncle gave him for Christmas (who shall be punished, I might add):

"Don't forget, homework before play!" I called down the steps.

"What homework, mom?" He yelled back.

"I put it on the table, I'll help you in a moment."

"WHAT homework, mom?" He yelled again, this time stressing the 'what'.

"The homework on the table, in the folder."

"Again, I repeat, WHAT homework?" He said as he came to stand at the foot of the stairs.

He repeats? Where the heck does this stuff come from? I realized then that he was hinting at something (yes, I can be slow).

"You don't have any homework?" I asked as he started up the steps.

"No, I already did it!"

He was so proud of himself, really excited. I looked at him in wonder. He had done his homework himself? Really? My little 6 year old ADHD kid actually sat himself down and forced himself to work on a page of words? The homework that before Christmas would take me an hour of cajoling, pleading, begging, and threatening to get him to complete?

"Really?" I asked, looking at him in awe.

"Yes, really." He insisted with some exhasperation.

"Who are you, and what have you done with my kid? You must be an alien who took over his body!"

"Nuh-uh, mom, it's me! Dino!" He smiled and I smiled and then I went to check on his homework. Besides the slightly growing letters, he had actually completed the assignment correctly without direction. There is a first!

"Wow, I am really, really impressed, baby." I made sure to be very appreciative and verbal in my praise.

"Whatever. Can I go play now?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As promised, here are the pics of the seamed socks I am working on. Warning: they are NOT pretty!


Full sock - see the seam? If not, trust me, it's there. This picture did not come out great.


This is the heel. This one has a better view of the seam. I do like the pattern, but I think it is more for slippers than socks.....

No comments: