Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Real Fear

Yesterday, I spent the afternoon at DG's house. I had not seen Dino since Sunday morning when we went to church for Easter and then he went off with his dad to spend the holiday with the in-laws. I wanted to spend some time with him and make sure he didn't feel like a homeless child shuffled around the relatives due to being on spring break from school.

After I arrived, DG and I decided to take Bugaboo for a walk. He rode his little tryke and we walked with the dog around the block. For the most part, he seemed to really enjoy being out and about, and stopped every 5 feet or so to stim on whatever element was on the ground. We made it all the way around the block without incident and arrived back at the house within 15 minutes. It was then that Bugaboo decided to make a break for it. He inched away at first and then broke into a full run. I chased after him, but not being in shape or knowing what to expect, I didn't anticipate his speed or momentum. He got a full block away with me several paces behind and panic struck me. I was screaming his name and hoping and praying he would stop before he reached the street. He didn't.

He flew across the street without thinking and the breath literally caught in my throat. Please, dear God, don't let a car be there! Thankfully, no cars were around although it was rush hour time. I was never so happy to see an empty street in all my life.

By the time I got to the other curb, I was winded and hurting. My chest was constricting and I really felt like I would pass out. DG was right behind me so I grabbed the dog from her and she was able to sprint forward and grab the lil bugger before he hit another block.

Let me tell you, the relief flooded over me in such a way that I almost broke into tears. Bugaboo was quite pleased with himself and his run, but screeched when he realized that his goal of the park two blocks away was taken from him. I think he figured that he would just go and we would follow and let him have his fun.

I was mad at myself for not being able to catch up with a 5 year old with short stubby legs. I have to say, he is one fast little guy. I think he should train for the Olympics for the 400 yard dash. He would surely beat anyone that is professionally trained. That kid is quick. And I really need to work out so that he can't beat me again.

I also have to remark that I am continually amazed at my sister's stamina when keeping up with him. Her ability to work with this tiny bundle of pure energy is really a wonder to behold. She is able to stay positive in the face of great adversity and is so wonderfully wrapped up with her children. DG, if you are reading this, I sincerely hope you realize how much I admire you. You are truly my hero.

1 comment:

Domestic Goddess said...

Just another day at Chez DG. Really. This is normal stuff.
As for the stamina? Comes from above. I don't know how else to explain it!