Thursday, March 13, 2008

Say What?

Last night I had dinner plans with Fr. J who is my dear BFF since my college days. We have been through much together as friends. We try to get together at least once every other month or so to just sit and enjoy each other's company. Since it was karate night, Fr. J decided to meet me at the studio and watch Dino's class. We were then to decide what to do for dinner.

When I arrived at the dojo, I noticed Mr. HKG looking at me, and for the first time in a while, I returned his gaze and gave him a smile. Bold of me, no? He smiled back.

Fr. J arrived soon after unbeknownst (is that really a word?) to me and was standing behind me. When I noticed him, we laughed that he "snuck in". It was then that I noticed that Mr. HKG was standing at the window of the classroom sorting the kid's attendance cards and he was staring me down. Not sure what that was about, I smiled back again. He scowled and turned away. Hmmmmm. Weird.

Shortly after class began Mr. HKG left the class to Mr. NKG and went to the front office. I followed in order to pay for Dino's tournament taking place tomorrow night. Mr. Owner was there and he ended up helping me, but Mr. HKG once again scowled at me, giving me the evil eye. What's up with that?

I went back to the waiting room and Fr. J and I briefly discussed the whole evil eye thing.

"Well, duh, it's because I'm a guy", he says.

"Say what? What's that got to do with anything?" I ask, totally oblivious.

"I'm offended!" he replies good naturedly.

Oh! So it comes to light. Mr. HKG, whom I have been eye-flirting with (new term, coined here folks!) was actually jealous? Is it possible? After all, the only conversations we have had - and I can count 'em on one hand - in over a year of classes has been about Dino. I have had it in my mind that my flirting was innocent since any chance of him reciprocating was all in my head. Now, I am not so sure. He was definitely pissed off about something and it happened after Fr. J showed up - and Fr. J was not wearing his collar or anything to show that he was no competition. Sigh. I really wish I was confident and brave. My self esteem up until now would never allow me to believe that Mr. HKG (remember, that stands for HOT Karate Guy) would find me attractive in any way, shape, or form. Is it really possible? Or, is this once again one of those things that I am reading into far too much?

Only time will tell, I think.

No comments: