Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Phone Home

I was reading an interesting article today. Stephen Hawkins, in a lecture recently at George Washington University in Washington D.C., stated that he believes alien life may well exist in some form (and in a remote section of our galaxy apparantly). To read the article, click here.

So I was inspired to share my thoughts. I am not a genius theoretical physicist, but I do love the thought of life in other parts of space, and I am fascinated to no end on the whole concept of the universe in general. Do I believe that there are other life forms elsewhere? Yes. Why? Well, it goes to a direct quote by Carl Sagan. "It would be an awful waste of space."

I watched the movie Contact when it was first released. I was a sci-fi fan, but this spoke more to the spiritual in me. Is it human arrogance to assume we are the only diversion nature took in playing with the creation of life. Yes, I still believe in the Big Guy, but since I was not there when life was created, how can I tell if that is the REAL story? Anyway, I became obsessed with the theories of life elsewhere in the cosmos. I read just about anything I could get my hands on, and that includes tons of articles on the internets. It is a sort of hobby at this point.

Just wondering what you think? Does life (in any form) exist in other regions of space, or are we the only planet that can boast to being host to this extraoridnary "co-incidence" of molecules fused together into beings?

1 comment:

Domestic Goddess said...

Whatever you do, don't start wearing tinfoil hats. Then I'll be worried.
;)