Thursday, May 15, 2008

Have A Grand Time, Wish You Were Here

Thanks to "R" who pointed me to a web source for my new motto on life. Here is the exact quote:
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending."
- Carl Bard
Much appreciated!

Ok, I can't tell you how light I feel. Even though my ex called last night and picked a fight - and I fell into the trap and was manipulated to respond - I had a really good evening. Dino did awesome yesterday. He was sweet, caring, and attentive. He did well in school and at karate. It was cool.

Side note - Dino sent up a scare on Tuesday at school. He was having a strangely manic episode where he was incoherently babbling, talking in a sing-song voice and would suddenly switch to a whisper and then to a deep voice and then to a high-pitched voice. It scared the teacher a bit because she heard him say that someone put something in his pajamas and that he was told not to call the police because God would take care of it. Then he started to sing "God Is Bigger Than The Boogie man" from the Veggie Tales. She properly freaked. So did I when she told me about it at an emergency meeting at the school yesterday. I had to meet with her and the school counselor. They were concerned about his statement but also about his suddenly erractic behavior. When they asked him to repeat what he said, he claimed that he didn't remember what he said and that it was "out of my head". We agreed at the meeting to keep an eye on him and that we would take notice of any other red flags. I spent the day worrying about it and being really angry at the thought that someone was misleading my little boy.

I talked to him after school. I couldn't help myself. I had to find out what was going on. He has had child safety courses at school, at karate, and when he was in pre-school. He knows the difference between good and bad touches, and he can properly identify his "safe grownups" (parents, the doctor, a policeman, his teacher). I asked him first if there was anything bothering him, if he was scared about anything, or if he wanted to talk. Typical Dino response - "No, I don't want to talk about anything..." - but I had to press a little. I asked about the song he sung for his teacher. He seemed embarrassed and I made sure he knew that I wasn't upset or angry. Just wanted to find out what he said. He started to talk about the Veggie Tales movie "What Do I Do When I'm Scared". Well, folks, it all became crystal clear as he spoke. He miscontrued part of the plot of the movie, but in essence, Junior Asparagus watches a scary movie on TV. He then goes to bed scared of the shadows and strange shapes in the dark. Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber appear and tell him it's ok, that it was only a show, and that God is bigger than any Bogeyman that would come from our imaginations. They say "Is that monsters in your pajamas? Is that Godzilla in the hall?" then Bob asks Junior what he is going to do. Junior says, "I'm going to call the police" in a hushed whisper. Bob then says, "No, you're not going to DO anything". "What? Why?" asks Junior. Then they start to sing "God is Bigger than the boogie man, he's bigger than Godzilla and the monsters on TV"....and so on.

Well, I realized that his "manic" behavior was really Dino re-enacting the entire scene for his teacher, complete with all the voices, the dialogue (a little misunderstood) and the song. It was almost laughable. I called his teacher and left her a voice mail to let her know that what she heard was not what she thought. I was so relieved let me tell you! One good thing came out of all of this - I found that his school does act immediately on things and that they are very caring and supportive of me. They know what is going on at home and they have been very understanding and supportive of Dino as well.

Ok, enough of that. I must go now and find a reasonably priced LCD screen TV for my new bedroom. The EX is taking the one from the kitchen now and the desk in the hall as well. But, since I am still getting everything else, I don't care. The TV in the kitchen sucked anyway because unless you were standing right in front of it, you didn't really see the picture.

Hey, DG! I want to go to the Sears Outlet to look for a fridge and the TV. Care to join me?

Have a good one all!

1 comment:

Domestic Goddess said...

Yes and no.
Buy a tv there. That's ok. But fridges? No freaking way. After a dishwasher AND a fridge that only lasted 3 years a piece, I can tell you that it is better to wait, save your money and get a good deal at Lowes. Trust me on this one. You know we've bought EVERY APPLIANCE in the past two years.