Friday, July 11, 2008

Disturbances

It was Wednesday night, around 9:30. The neighbors' three children were running around their yard, screaming, laughing, having a grand time. I tried to ignore it, really. They live directly across the street and the screaming was getting on my nerves.

Finally at 10:15 I could take no more. I looked out the window a few times and didn't see any adults. Where was their mother? She and I have spoken on a few occassions and she seemed like a sweet, nice, reasonable woman. I didn't see anyone. So, I stepped outside and called over to the kids...

"Hi guys, do you think that you can stop screaming? My son is trying to sleep.."

Before I knew it, the mother, Kelly, flew over in a rage. She started to scream from the sidewalk in front of her house, "It's ok! They are just having fun! It's summertime, you know!"

I was taken aback. First by the fact that she let her children be public nuisances at 10:15 at night (they are aged 9, 7, and 5) but also by her complete about face in being friendly. I was nice as pie when I asked them to stop screaming (seriously, they are only kids after all!), but she just totally freaked.

My son's bedroom is in the front of the house, and I could hear every shriek. I mentioned this to Kelly.

"Oh, I think the walls are thick enough! They are just having fun! It's summertime." She turned abruptly and walked away in a huff.

Yes, I know it is summertime. However, there is such a thing as common decency. There is such a thing as a noise ordinance. There is such a thing as a fine for disturbing the peace.

I watched her walk for a few seconds and called out, "Ok, thank you". Read that in the tone of voice a person would use with a mental patient.

Yesterday, I tried to put it out of my head, but it just wouldn't leave. How and why did this woman turn so quickly against me? I also tried to talk to her about it. I saw their door open, so I went to knock. The door was suddenly closed. I knocked and stood for a few moments. I knocked again. And stood. I could hear them inside the house. At this point, I was annoyed that she was being so immature. Finally, the door opened and the oldest girl was standing there. I simply asked for her mom. She was "in the bathroom". Ah, right. Ok, well, I apologized to the kids anyway. Seriously, I shouldn't have. I felt that perhaps Kelly freaked out because I shouldn't have talked to her kids, but directly to her. The oldest child was sweet and I said I would come back in a little bit to talk to her mom...

I didn't get a chance to do so. I took Dino out to ride his scooter around the block. I figured if I could catch her out, we could iron this out. Nope. She was standing at another neighbors house. They were staring at me and then both turned their backs as I walked by.

Are you serious? Is this f-ing high school?

I give up. I tried to be nice about it, even though I don't think I am wrong. I tried to be mature about it. Next time, I call the cops lady. You can deal with them.

1 comment:

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Wow! That is messed up.

I would let it cool off for a bit. Perhaps she was just having an off week. Wait a few weeks and take a pie over. Sit around and get to know each other.

Don't bring up the issue. The kindness factor will change the issue on its own.

She is just trying to establish turf right now. She's threatened by you being a responsible, single parent. She feels the need to steak her claim.

Pie can help her take that steak out of her butt and the garden.