Saturday, August 16, 2008

It's A Girl!

Wondering where GeekChick has been? Well, we have been busy preparing to welcome our newest edition to our family. I always wanted a little girl, and now, I will finally be getting one.....and she is a real cutie.

Here, see for yourself.



Isn't she pretty? She is 14 months old, loves people (especially kids) and seems to get along well with other dogs. We found her this week, went to see her yesterday, and adopted her the same night. She is playful, and I can't wait to bring her home! I have to wait until Wednesday for the vet to neuter and insert her microchip. I hate waiting. In fact, we went back to the shelter again today to walk her and play with her some more. She came out of the kennel area and came right up to me and licked me and laid at my feet. We're bonded! But, I have some things to do to get ready for her arrival:

1. Fix the gates to the back yard so she is free to roam. The one side has no gate, the other needs some work. My darling BIL and nephew are coming tomorrow to work with me on getting the gates fixed.

2. Find room in the house for the dog crate. I am thinking the play room, but I have to gut out the toys or she will tear them apart. Or, I can put it in the dining room for now, and move it into the kitchen during the day. Working on that...

3. Set up a vet appointment at the local veternarian.

4. Find the dog parks in the area. 'Cause I can't wait to visit them once she is settled.

We are so excited about our darling coming. Dino has renamed her "Katara" because her original name "China" didn't really do her justice. She needed a pretty girls name....

We went shopping today and were able to secure just about everything we need. I just need one more dog gate for inside the house. We have the crate, bedding, bowls, food, chews, toys, treats, coller, and leash. We need to put her through training, but she is smart and she will figure it out.

Off I go to get some more things put away. Can't have a baby around with so much exposed, can I? :) I'll post more on Katara later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dogs are absolutely the best things to have in a home -- they raise the spirits and bond parent and kiddos. Good for you girl.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

She is beautiful. Congrats to you and Dino.