Monday, September 29, 2008

Geek Chick's Top Ten Reasons For Being MIA

Ok, so it has been quite a while since I updated the 'ole blog. What's been keeping me away you ask? Well, there isn't just one thing. Read on for the top 10 reasons I have been MIA from cyberspace...

10. Ran away and joined the circus.
9. Went on a long cruise to Newark, New Jersey.
8. Finally got my PHD from the mail order catalog and I am celebrating.
7. Couldn't find my way out of a paper bag.
6. My ADD kicked in and I was distracted by - hey, look! A chicken!
5. Was untangling thousands of yards of yarn that was chewed by the dog.
4. Discovered a new species of insect in my backyard and spent all week documenting.
3. Decided it was OK to have fantasies about Mr. HKG so I simply let everything else go to enjoy them.
2. Found a wrinkle in the time-space continuum and just now returned from a visit to PLANET PLUTO. Yes, it IS a planet, folks!

And the number one reason I was MIA this week:

Battled microscopic bacteria for dominance over my body.

And I won. Yay me.

So now, on to the updates.

Been struggling with lonliness, which I know I talked about. I finally got my butt to mass on Sunday and discovered that I missed it. And, Dino was really good in church. Go figure. What's that got to do with lonlienss you ask? Well, I'm getting to it, keep your shirt on.

I got the church bulletin, my tags for the consignment sale coming up next week, and bought a chair from the 8th graders (it's a camp chair with the school's initials on the back). All in all, a really fun time. Ha.

Ok, so then Dino and I went food shopping and I discovered that Acme is a good 5% higher in prices than my favorite home store of Superfresh. Not going back there. Need to get my stuff at my corner store it seems. We then went and bought the Lego Batman game for the Wii! Yes, more addicting than Lego Star Wars. Sigh. It was dreary, drab, and dull outside so Dino and I stayed in and played the game ALL AFTERNOON. Finally, a down day for Geek Chick. I did laundry, did the dishes, fed and played with the dog, and even put away the pile of mail sitting on my dining room table. All this leads up to me reading the bulletin from the church over a cup of coffee with whipped cream. Nothing special but a little note in a box on the back:

"When things are dark, the Light is there."

With a cross underneath. Nothing flashy or special about it. It was just some black lettering in a white box. I was mulling over the significance of this statement when suddenly, the skies opened up to a huge ray of sunshine. It was pouring just a few moments before. It was like the heavens knew that I had read that statement and had to puncuate it with a brilliant display of gold from the skies. I had an epiphany. All the crap that I have been struggling over - the divorce, the transition to single life, the lonliness (yes, here is is, finally), the turmoil... all of it was a part of the darkness. I need to STEP OUT into the sunshine. All I need to do is recognize the light is there and to look for it. I had spent the past 5 months in a dark funk, the kind that breeds more negativity. The kind that doesn't allow you to feel good about yourself for more than 5 minutes. The kind that slowly pushes you down into the muck to keep you from enjoying life.

So, folks, I am going to start an experiment. For the next 30 days, I am going to post EVERY DAY about something that is good, positive, light-worthy, that is happening in my life or that I am finally recognizing having been hit over the head with positive vibes. They say it takes 30 days to make something a habit. I figure that I can become a more positive person if I do this.

Ok, so here it is....Post #1 of The Importance of Being Positive:

There are many things that are great in my life right now. I have a good job that pays well enough that I can support myself, my son, and my dog. I have a wonderful family that supports all of my harebrained schemes. I have good friends that care about me. And, I plan on getting back in the saddle and losing more weight in the next 6 months. My goal - 50 pounds in 6 months. I can do it, but I have to WORK OUT. I don't like working out. Oops, let's make that positive - if I can work out 30 minutes every day, my butt will get smaller :) LOL

Feel free to share something positive as well!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The kind that slowly pushes you down into the muck to keep you from enjoying life." That line is chilling...because it's true.

I'm glad you see that organized religion, (at least Catholic), is good and can be uplifting, (especially from the muck), if you are open to the grace of a loving God.

Are you walking the dog regularly? It does two things; dissipates some of their energy and is a source of exercise for you.

Love you and Dino!

Domestic Goddess said...

You DO have a ton of great things in your life right now. Perspective is key, the way you look at things can often dictate how you live your life. If you THINK you will succeed, you WILL succeed. If you THINK positively, positive things will happen in your life.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

You have sooo much to be positive about.

The next time you feel alone, you got my digits. Reach and call me. I know it all too well to. However, I have learned that you only are alone if you let yourself be that way.

For the last three years I was alone. Now I have a great group of friends and loved ones. I go to events, I get out, and I am finding that I have a lot to offer the world.

Lucy T said...

So the "Light" your church bulletin was referring to was the power of positive thinking? I don't want to knock positive thinking (heck, I'm all for it) but I'm gonna risk all here and say that's not what they were referring to. But you know that. Sorry if I sound harsh. I positively swear (even sware) that I am just sayin' this because He is the Light that chases the darkness. Positive thinking will only get you so far (and I want you to get real far in this journey towards joy!).

Lucy