Monday, October 27, 2008

#24 Continued

As I mentioned in my previous post, J brought over his daugher and son last night for dinner and some fun. I was a bit nervous meeting them, but not a whole lot. I just wanted them to have a good night and not worry about impressions. I didn't have to worry. They were sweet, funny, and engaging. It was a really good night. After about 45 minutes or so, J and I looked at each other and I think we both realized that things were going to be A-OK. We ordered Chinese food (and it was yummy, thankyouverymuch), watched a Scooby Doo movie and then played Wii Sports. Dino and J's son really hit it off almost immediately, so I was quite surprised when Dino started to get really bossy and arrogant. And I think it took HIM by surprise when T (J's son) started to beat him at one of the games. Dino, being ever the gracious host, declared the game over and pouted upstairs in my room. I, on the other hand, joined in the fun. T and C (J's daughter) played the baseball game and had a good time with it, but then J and I decided we had to play a game.

Did I ever mention that J is like Mr. Baseball Lunatic Fanatic? Srsly, ask him who played 3rd base for the Yankees in 1963 and he can tell you, along with the color of the guys favorite socks. If anyone wants to know ANYTHING about baseball, ask J. Next time you see him, ask him about Merkle's Boner.

So J proceeded to kick my butt by hitting a double and a home run. I hit bubkis. Nada. Zilch. Lots of fouls, no runs batted in. Sigh.... J is also quite the funny guy and just HAD to give me some gentle ribbing about my tragic loss to his superior sport prowess....

But, it's ok. I am fine. Really. Just plotting my sweet revenge.....

5 comments:

Jeff said...

I'm guessing Tom Tresh or maybe Tony Kubek? Of course, I will be back in a few after I look it up... And, no, I don't know what his favorite color socks were. As long as he had an unnatural hatred for White Sox, that's all I would need to become a fan.

Jeff said...

Actually, Tom Tresh played center field and Tony Kubek played shortstop on that team. Clete Boyer was the name of the third baseman that I couldn't come up with (and anybody who knows the old Abbott & Costello bit knows that the name of the third baseman is "I Don't Know," so maybe I should have just gone with that). But, yeah, that means I would have had 2 names in the "name 5 1963 Yankees" game, and I'd bet most people would lose that one.

People at work ask me this stuff all the time... "Hey, the Phillies are having a series against the Angels coming up, what does their starting pitching look like?" And I will be able to name 4 out of their 5 starting pitchers and be able to tell you if they're any good or not. It's like an illness, really.

And, yeah, Merkle's Boner. They had a story about it in the New York Times a month or so ago.

Jeff said...

And, by the way, it was 2 doubles and a home run in 3 consecutive batters... I know, you're saying "who's counting," but that's baseball, everything is counted, and everything becomes a statistic.

And right now Tim McCarver is explaining the infield fly rule, which is like child's play to me.

Domestic Goddess said...

Dood. That baseball thing is like a sickness...

Jeff said...

Wait until I pronounce for you (a la the P.A. announcer) the following actual baseball player's name: Kila Ka'aihue (the only reason I know this is that he is a Wilmington Blue Rocks alumni).

The real sickness is my unnatural attachment to remembering facts that are generally useless, but interesting. To me, anyways.