Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What to do?

Ok, y'all, I have a problem and I am not sure how to handle it. Woke up this morning to find that my lovely demon dog had chewed the WOOD part of the arm of a chair in the play room. On the one hand, the chairs belonged to my ex-mother-in-law and I shouldn't feel too badly about them being destroyed. After all, it's just furniture. On the other hand, they are antiques from over 70 years ago and I had hoped to one day have them redone to make them my own. I really like them. So, naturally, I freaked when I saw what the evil mutt had done.

Add to the chewing, the need to knock over any small child and nip at their clothes. Then, there is the constant nipping at my feet. And the stealing socks and chewing them to bits. And the spastic behavior whenever J is over. It's getting old and I am getting really frustrated and tired of her act.

I'm in a conundrum. What do I do? I know that owning a dog is work. I'm not so stupid as to realize that she is not going to stop this stuff without some sort of intervention. Here's the issue though: time. I don't have a great deal of it as it is being a single parent. Training is during the week - where I have less time than on weekends. I thought of putting a muzzle on her while people are over (and I may pursue this). But what to do when she is left alone? I can't (ok, WON'T) cage her as that is not fair to her. She's a dog for crying out loud.

And, despite her destructive behavior, I love her.

Sigh. Ok, thoughts and comments are welcome!

On a different note, I have one week until I go to Dallas and then turn around and go to Disney. I am boarding the Hound from Hell for the three days I am in Dallas. Then my darling (and quite brave) sister, DG, offered to watch her while I am in Disney. Disney in only a week and a half away! YIKES! So much to do before now and then! I have to make sure I have bags packed for Dino since he will be with his dad for the three days I am in Dallas. I also have to have a separate bag for Disney. I am starting to spaz a little myself.

But, it will all work out. I can't wait to go away with Dino and see him in Disney. I have wanted to do this for so long now. It's going to be an awesome time! Count down has begun....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember what kind of dog you have, but some dogs are just very hyper. But if it is still a puppy, it will outgrow some of the chewing. On occasion, we have "spanked" the puppy with the item it chewed, such as the sock, while scolding. Of course, you can't do that with the chair. As far as the chair is concerned, it has probably lost some of its value as an antique but it can still be repaired if you can find someone has the ability. Do you have a room you can use a baby gate to leave him in while you are gone? That might work to some degree. Sorry, I don't feel like I've been much help. Margie

littlezen said...

I'm a friend of DG's and have been reading for a while, but I don't usually comment. Anyway, I have a hyper hyper yellow lab Josie. Josie and I did 5 years of obedience training and she has learned she can't misbehave while she's on her leash (she's smart). Anyway, when we go out we pen her in with a baby gate so she has access to our upstairs: our bedroom, the bathroom where we keep a water bowl, and our office that has a sofa, and her crate which we keep open and on the floor of our would-be nursery. We don't keep any paper around and we put away anything we don't want chewed...preventative meaures. Good luck!!

Adorable Girlfriend said...

I think school and a crate are the choice du jour. If you don't, she'll chew more stuff and it will only get worse.

Geekgrl64 said...

Dogs feel safer in their crates. If you are having these problems with her, crating is one solution. Their crate is like their den. My dog still gets in her crate on her own occasionally.

Also, exercise. You should try and get her out for at least one walk a day. I understand time, I am a single parent as well. If you don't have space for her to run around, you definitely need to look into walking her.

Good luck!