Monday, December 22, 2008

Pain To The 10th Power

Talk about embarrassment! While shopping at the supermarket on Saturday, I slipped on a cherry tomato and fell on my right butt and back. Wow! Did that hurt! At first, I as merely stiff, but as the hours ticked by, the pain grew and I simply felt like I was hit by a Mack truck. I could barely move my back. I had also jammed my right shoulder because like a ninny, I put my arm down to try to stop my fall. This caused my arm to jam up into my shoulder and cause my shoulder blade to slam into my mucles. OUCH!!!!

AG called me shortly after and gave some expert medical advice, which I have followed.... ibuprofen and ice/heat. J also was there to knead my back and shoulders almost continuously throughout the day and night. What a prince! He put up with me gasping and moaning (keep it clean!) and catered to my needs very sweetly. What an amazing man I have in my life! Thankfully, we didn't really need to go anywhere short of the karate party and taking DG's roasting pan back to her. I should have taken that time to totally rest, but I didn't.

I have this problem, see. I can't sit idle for too long when I know that there are things that I need to do. Like laundry, vacuuming, trimming the tree, putting the decoration containers away, clearing out the family room, cooking, and wrapping gifts. I allowed J and Dino to help, but I really felt like I had to get it done. Christmas is only 3 days away now. I realized my problem on Sunday, and tried to force myself to take it easy. Yeah, right. I was surprised I didn't take that moment to start putting the crap in the garage into the attic. I may have, if I didn't think that J would totally lose his patience with me as he kept trying to steer me to the couch where my massaging chair pad thingy was. But, I think it was more a need to get order in my life before the chaos of the holidays set in.

It still turned out to be a wonderful weekend, despite the fall. Still, the pain persists. It is definitely less than it was, and I feel with proper stretching and the continuation of ice and heat, I will recover from this. Since I REFUSE to have to see a doctor at this time of year, I am hoping that I can nurse it back to full strength without medical intervention. Sheesh.

Good news: J helped me wrap the gifts for Dino last night. I will wrap more tonight and hopefully be done.

Bad news: since Dino is off and I am not, he is being "farmed out" to my ex-MIL's house today and DG's house tomorrow and Wednesday. Sigh. I don't like him being away from me right now. But, it can't be helped.

Well, gotta try to work now. Typing is not too bad. Just a mild ache in my shoulder. But my wrist hurts from where I slammed it on the floor, so I will try to not over work it. Geez. I feel like an old lady!

Off I go to finish putting my team's gifts together. Have a good one, ya'll!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The supermarket would be liable for your medical bills if you informed them when you fell. Here's hoping you speed heal. But remember, as we mature, ahem, we heal lots slower than when we were youngsters. :) Margie (No offense intended, only humor.)

Domestic Goddess said...

Hey! If you want to, come for dinner Tuesday night so you can see him! I don't know what your schedule is like, but you are welcome to come. Let me know.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

I am soo sorry that you are in pain. It is going to take some time before the pain goes away, but you should feel at least better by the end of the week in terms of being able to return to normal activities. If this has not improved much by then, you will need to see a physician. No ifs, ands, or buts. :)

Please, let me know if you need anything!