Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Shopping Madness

First, let me state for the record that as much as I LOVE Christmas time, I don't love shopping for Christmas. It's kinda a drag. Money is tight this year, but I did squirrel enough away to get Dino the things he wanted. What I didn't do was start shopping early this year, despite my vow to do so. Not sure if it was procrastination or my crazy schedule up to now, or just plain laziness. Whatever the reason, I have managed to get Dino almost completely done. I also was able to purchase a few things for J, and I even got myself a couple of things for Dino to give to me (cause he felt bad last year that I didn't have much to open). I have to still get a couple of things - like for my parents. They are notoriously hard to buy for. Something for my dear friend Fr. John, and also something for my team at work. I know I can get it done, it just is a frenzy and I don't like hitting the stores at this time of year. I doubt my little contribution to the economy will help, but it does make me feel a little bit better about helping to stimulate us out of a recession :) Kidding.

Ok, so I am desperate for ideas for my parents. I reached out to my sibs, and my brother replied that I could contribute money to a fund to get my parents to write out a will. Ummmm, don't think so. Not exactly saying what I want to say during the holidays. I mean, what kind of message will this convey? "Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad, here's a little something to help you when you DIE"....not.

Ok, so here's a thought. I am considering getting them separate gifts instead of one gift. I know my mom loves red, and will wear anything red. My dad, he likes to build models. So, that helps. I am sure I can find something along these lines.

Speaking of shopping, we had a department dinner last night with our VP. Since I get off at 3 p.m., I jetted over to SIMS (for the educated consumer, don't you know) and did a little shopping with one of my teammates. She helped me to pick out something for J's Christmas Party (which, I find ironic that they are calling it a Christmas party since the lawfirm is largely Jewish, but I digress....). I found the perfect black dress and stole to go with it. I even got a faux fur jacket to jazz it up. Nice. Of course, I couldn't stop there. I got this AWESOME beaded clutch. It's really a metal trapezoid shaped box, with a little handle, and black beads all over it. VERY funky and cool. Now, just need to make sure I have shoes...which I think I do. I also found two great sweaters. One of which is a gift for Dino to give to me, the other I am wearing right now. Love it!

Ok, so that aside, I am "almost done" my shopping. I hope to wrap it up this weekend. That would put me ahead of many past holidays. Next year, I SWEAR (sware, even) to start before Thanksgiving :)

On a different note, my baby brother's girlfriend had her baby last night. At 7:34, and weighing 7 pounds, 14 ounces and 21 inches long, he is a healthy baby boy. I can't wait to see him! I didn't get in until late, so I didn't get to talk to my brother directly. I will call him today :) Better get that blanket done, huh? LOL

Have a good day, y'all!

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Well, *I* call it the Christmas party... The invitation calls it "a Holiday Celebration". I literally have 3 items for my dad, but I'm stumped as to mom. Dammit, gotta get something for the upcoming nephew (sister says she doesn't want anything for herself, just for the baby). You got another blanket in you before April? LOL.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Why not give to the will fund? They need to do it so that it gets done. It's not about dying per se. Trust me! My friend's parents didn't do it and they've lost millions dealing with it.