Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What Normalcy Gets You

As I alluded to in my previous post, this past weekend was awesome. It was great on so many levels. First, J and I had planned on going to the Natural Science Museum with the kids but we thought that would be a quick trip and then his kids would not want to associate any further with N and I (along with Bug Boy who LOVES J's son, T). We were wrong. They had a blast. It was fun and J and I kept marvelling at how well the trip was going. At the end, they wanted to go back to my house. We were surprised and happy. So we trooped back to the house where we busted out the Wii for some fun with the Wii Fit (that Santa brought and I never opened...but I digress....). Then, C and T wanted to be outside. J went and retrieved C's bike from the apartment and she rode her bike while T rode on N's scooter. I kicked the "twins" out for a bit, but they soon gave up and found their way back in before I could say no. I did a little housework and C came in and followed me around talking and asking questions. I came to realize that at 14, she was bored with the little kids and wanted to do something else. I kicked Bug Boy and N off the Wii again to let her play the Wii fit, which she loved. Every once in awhile I would go outside and sit with J on the steps while he watched his son play. Then C would follow me out. It seems like no matter where I went, she was there. I didn't find this annoying at all. In fact, I found it rather sad. She needs a woman to relate to, and her mom isn't exactly the best role model. I made up my mind to do my best to be her friend and help her through this. I also made up my mind that I would get her some pants and shoes since she refuses to shop with her dad (but then, what 14 year old girl wants to shop with thier dad?). I took C with me to pick up Chinese food for dinner and DG came down with Uncle Bug and Bugaboo in tow. It was a fun dinner and before I knew it, Bug Boy had left, J's kids were asking to stay and N wanted to go to bed. We happily settled the kids for the night and J and I were able to finally spend some quality time together. Just like a normal family....

Sunday morning we went shopping for clothes for C. She is a tough one, and only likes particular things. We were at Kohls but then went to Walmart to get her pants, at her insistence. I still managed to spend quite a bit at Kohls though! LOL

After our shopping extravaganza and a quick stop for lunch, we were back at the house for some more outdoor play. We actually played soccer and then the boys (N, T, and J) played a bit of ball in the backyard while C and I were on the lawn swing. It felt so incredibly....right, normal, perfect.

N was picked up at 5 by his dad, and I had dinner with J and his kids. Then, they insisted on staying another night since they were off on Monday. I was happy to have more time with J, so I agreed. It was tough tip-toeing through the house yesterday morning to leave for work, but it was neat, too. The kids were snoring away and I felt like I could really get used to them being there.

They came again for dinner last night, but since I had a dentist appt and planned on visiting my friend (who was teaching me to knit socks on two circular needles), I couldn't stay and socialize with them much. By the time I got home, the house was empty and still. And I realized I didn't like it that way.....I missed everyone. Can't wait for another weekend like that!

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Me, neither.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Sounds like fun!

Glad everyone had a good time.

grandmamargie said...

Wonderful! I'm so happy for you.

Me said...

That was so much fun to read! I'm really happy for you.